This document was last updated on September 15, 2017.
Welcome to Decoded! The below should include most of the information you’ll need as a part of the Decoded family of experts, writers, and editors. As always, if you have any questions, just email and ask.
If you’ve recently been accepted as a Decoded writer, make sure you read the writing guidelines!
There are none. Submit as often or as little as you like.
You must upload a photo to the site’s media library, and/or send a photo to admin. The photo must provide a clear photo or portrait of your face (Don’t have a headshot? Don’t worry – we can assist with cropping if necessary).
You must provide a bio that includes a list of your qualifications/experience/education. Think of it as the shortest resume you’ll ever write.
Please format your list of qualifications in third-person Bio format. (Dr. Johnson holds a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard University, and currently has a private Neurology practice in San Diego, California.) No spammy links please – we will remove excessive links or overly promotional material.
No pen names, please.
Plagiarism & Credentials
- Original content and ideas only, please. If we find that any information, including an image, has been reproduced without permission and/or credit, we’ll remove the article. Plagiarism is a serious accusation, so each case will be examined individually. To report potential plagiarism, please email Editorial.
Decoded Rights & Revenue FAQ
- Article Rights: Decoded Everything is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and gratefully accepts permanent online publication rights as donations when you submit your article for publication. You retain print rights to your articles, and are welcome to compile them and publish as a book – but we ask that you not republish online without credit to Decoded. Once articles are published on the Decoded platform, they will become a permanent part of the Decoded platform, and we will not be able to unpublish them as individuals or as a group.
This policy is in force as of September 1, 2017. Any writer who has not requested removal prior to October 1, 2017, waives the right to do so. Notification of this policy change has been sent via direct email to the addresses on file for each Decoded writer, and via social media platforms Google Plus and Facebook. Please contact the Decoded Board of Directors with questions.
- Article Revenue: As of September, 2017, Decoded will pay a fee of 5$ for pitched and approved articles that fall within the Decoded Writing Guidelines, when the writer requests the fee after publication. Articles that are under word count, or otherwise incomplete, may not be eligible for this fee. If you are writing with the expectation of earning this fee, please include that information when you submit the article, so we can inform you if there are areas in which we’ll need additional work to bring the article up to the necessary standards. If you publish an article on the Decoded platform, and would like to be paid (rather than donating the article) please send us a note requesting payment within 7 business days of publication. Payments will not accrue over time – if you do not request payment within 7 days, you will no longer have that option. Payments will be made via PayPal within 1 business day.
- Decoded Everything may, on occasion, receive funding for research or expertise in a particular area – if that happens, we’ll conduct a review of available experts, and approach you individually with proposed compensation for a project, based on scope, duration, and available funds.
When you write a book or ebook for Decoded to publish, you’re donating the perpetual publication rights & royalties to Decoded. If you need assistance self-publishing, let us know – we make every effort to help our writers with technical and design assistance, but can no longer publish books or ebooks via the Decoded label, and then distribute royalties.
- When Will You Pay My Balance? You’ll receive payments for articles upon publication. For specially-funded projects, you’ll receive payment as negotiated for that particular project. For ongoing projects (online courses, ebooks, etc) you will receive payment quarterly via PayPal.
Submitting a Single Article
Don’t want to be a regular contributor, but have something to share? Simply send us a photo of yourself, a copy of your CV/resume to demonstrate your expertise in the area, a brief bio, and the article (feel free to pitch in advance, but please understand that we cannot accept all articles for publication).
Questions? Comments? Please contact us here: